The leaves are beginning to fall from the trees, the mornings are getting colder, the nights are drawing in earlier, and my seasonal favourite Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) is back at Starbucks. It can only mean one thing - autumn is finally upon us.
The range on the chocolate table at Paul A. Young is changing too. Out goes Caribbean Sunset and English Garden Punch and in comes a new selection of chocolate recipes, based around berries, stone fruits, and warming spices.
I've been sent a snapshot of what to expect to see over the coming weeks when you pop in store in London.
I love the unusual flavour combinations that often come out of Paul's development kitchen. This latest collection has a couple of unusual flavours, alongside flavourful single-origin chocolates, and more traditional options.
- Marmite and Grilled Cheese on Toast Truffle - layers of Marmite, Marmite salted caramel, and toasted cheddar and parmesan ganache made with Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate, inside a Guittard 62% Eureka Works dark chocolate with toasted sourdough pieces and copper decoration.
- Sussex Pond Pudding - Valrhona caramelised milk chocolate shell filled with lemon caramel and a piece of candied lemon, and finished with a delicate yellow decoration.
- Plum Crumble and Custard - sweet Mirabelle plum compote, vanilla custard ganache topped with buttery crunchy crumble, and Guittard 38% milk chocolate.
- Black Forest Gateau - Morello cherries soaked in kirsch syrup, vanilla, and Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate ganache, with Guittard 65% Madagascan Criollo dark chocolate ganache.
- Bramble Cocktail - Blackberries muddled with London Dry Gin and lemon with Creme de Mure and Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate inside a Valrhona 64% Madagascar single-origin dark chocolate shell.
- Norwegian Caramelised Cheese and Rye Bread - a cube of caramelised goats' and cows' cheese in a Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate, Valrhona caramelised milk chocolate, buttermilk, Cornish sea salt, and cheese ganache. A coating of Firetree 72% Solomon Islands single-origin dark chocolate contains Danish rye breadcrumbs. Read my review.
- Cinnamon Bun - iced cinnamon buns inside a Guittard 38% Soleil d'Or milk chocolate ganache, layered onto a Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate ganache blended with cream cheese and essential oil of cinnamon leaf.
- Triple Nut Toffee Crunch - a solid chocolate made with Guittard 38% Soleil d’Or milk chocolate, crunchy butter toffee pieces, chopped hazelnuts, pecans and almonds.
- Glen Moray Fired Oak Whisky Old Fashioned Truffle - a FireTree 75% Papua New Guinea single-origin dark chocolate shell around a filling of Firetree 72% Solomon Islands single-origin dark chocolate and Valrhona 36% caramelised milk chocolate blended with Glen Moray Fired Oak Whisky, Angostura bitters, and smoked water.
- Sea Salted Caramel - this award-winning recipe hasn't changed since it was first created in 2004. It features Valrhona 64% Madagascar single-origin dark chocolate, butter, and Billington’s unrefined sugar caramel with double cream, Cornish Sea Salt, and Guittard 38% Soleil d'Or milk chocolate. Read my review.
- Passion Fruit Curd - a gold-decorated Guittard 65% Ecuador single-origin dark chocolate shell containing a passion fruit purée blended with Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate.
- Peanut Butter and Raspberry Jelly - a raspberry reduction and a Yorkshire peanut butter milk chocolate ganache, with a shimmering Guittard 38% Soleil d'Or milk chocolate coating finished with a red spatter decoration. Read my review.
- Banoffee Pie - layers of fresh banana caramel and white chocolate cream in Guittard 65% Ecuador single-origin dark chocolate with crunchy wafer flakes.
- Kalamansi Truffle - Guittard 35% Soie Blanche white chocolate blended with Vietnamese kalamansi purée hand-rolled in Guittard 65% single-origin Ecuador dark chocolate, with a gold cocoa butter decoration. Read my review.
- Caramel Crunch - a solid chocolate piece made with Valrhona 36% caramelized milk chocolate, crunchy wafer flakes and Cornish sea salt in a diamond mould with gold sparkle decoration. Contains milk, gluten, soya.
- Champagne Truffle - Guittard 38% Soleil d'Or milk chocolate and Champagne poured directly from the bottle, finished with a shimmering exterior. Read my review.
- Hazelnut Praline -a hazelnut praline combined with house-blended 59.2% dark chocolate and a sprinkling of Cornish sea salt in a house-blended 48.6% milk chocolate with crunchy wafer flakes.
- Rosemary and Olive Oil Gianduja – essential oil of rosemary and extra virgin olive oil blended into a smooth milk chocolate hazelnut praline and encased in Guittard 65% Colombia single-origin dark chocolate. Read my review.
Paul also has a selection of vegan-friendly chocolates in this range:
- 100% Firetree Solomon Islands Dark Chocolate Truffle - a dairy-free water ganache made with single-origin Firetree 100% Solomon Islands Guadalcanal dark chocolate, dusted in cocoa powder with gold sparkle.
- Harissa and Tahini - a ganache of Firetree 72% Solomon Islands single-origin dark chocolate with tahini and a house-blended harissa paste, hand-rolled in Valrhona 62% Brazil single-origin dark chocolate with colourful decoration.
- Coconut and Tonka Bean Latte Truffle - a coffee bean and coconut cream ganache flavoured with tonka bean and wrapped in Valrhona 66% Caribbean dark chocolate, with a decoration of desiccated coconut. Read my review.
- 75% Papua New Guinea Dark Chocolate Water Ganache Truffle - a dairy-free water ganache made with Firetree 75% Papua New Guinea dark chocolate inside a dark shell and rolled in Guittard cocoa powder.
- Marmite Truffle - a water ganache of Valrhona 64% Madagascar dark chocolate and Marmite yeast extract in a dark shell, dusted in edible bronze powder. Read my review.
Keep your eyes peeled as there'll also be a couple of special flavours named soon, alongside a Limited Edition piece created for Bailey's Dessert Week.
There's a few flavours that pique my interest this time around. Marmite and Grilled Cheese on Toast is one, and Harissa & Tahini is another, alongside the 100% and 75% Firetree water ganache truffles.
What's your favourite flavour combination from this latest collection? Let me know in the comments below.