"Life is like a box of chocolates," proclaimed Tom Hanks' character in the hit 1994 movie, Forrest Gump.
And thanks to a recent boom in subscription services, you can now fill your life with many boxes of chocolates. Simply join a service for a reasonable monthly fee and receive a mystery box through your letterbox each and every month. For chocolate addicts, this is quite literately the dream.
In my latest article, I've scoured all corners of the interweb to find the best British chocolate box services - be that the cheapest, the quirkiest, or the tastiest depending upon your needs. So if you want to ensure a non-stop supply of chocolate to your front door, or you're looking for a fab birthday or Christmas present for a chocoholic in your life, I've done the leg work for you. You're welcome!
In this article:
- What is a 'Subscription Box'?
- Who are subscription boxes for?
- How much do subscription boxes cost?
- How do I manage a subscription?
- Top Monthly Chocolate Subscription Boxes
- Dormouse Chocolates Bean to Door Club
- Cocoba Chocolate Collection Box
- Eighteen Rabbit Fair Trade Chocolate Club
- Green & Black's The Chocolate Club
- Ooh! Chocolata Subscription
- Aurosó Chocolate Club Subscriptions
- Love Cocoa Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
- Benjamin Chocolatier Truffle Club
- Melt Chocolate Subscription
- The Chocolate Library Feel Good Chocolate Monthly Gift Subscription
- Pure Heavenly VIP Club
- Duffy's Single Origin Chocolate Subscription
- Explore Chocolate Explore Monthly
- Cadbury Bar Post Box Subscription
- Harry Specters Chocolate Club
- Slabb Couples Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
- BoroughBox Letterbox Chocolate Gift Subscription
- Chococo Subscription Chocolate Club
- Chocolate Fayre Tasters Club
- Langleys Rocky Road Scrumptious Selection Box Subscription
- Ohso Probiotic Chocolate Subscription
- PLAYin Choc ToyChoc Box Monthly Subscription Package
- Montezuma's Chocolate Club
- The Bombillow Box
- Willie's Cacao Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
- Artisan Du Chocolat Rehab Club
- La Chocolatrice Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
- Firetree Bars Subscription
- The Chocolate Society Box Of The Month
- Cocoa Runners Monthly Subscription
- Coco Chemistry Monthly Fresh Flavour Box
- Beech's Fine Chocolates Chocolate Club
- The Chocolate Hub Monthly Subscription Package
- The Chocolatier Aneesh Popat Monthly Chocolate Box
- NearyNógs Stoneground Chocolate Subscription
- Chocolarder Monthly Seasonal Box
- Hotel Chocolat Monthly Chocolate Subscription
- William Curley Club
- Harry's Emporium Chocolate Club
- Letterbox Gifts Birthday Subscription Set
- The New Chocolate Company Chocology Club
- Rococo Fresh Subscriptions
- Other Notable Mentions
What is a 'Subscription Box'?
A subscription box is an ongoing service whereby you receive a box of contents each month in exchange for a recurring fee. Contents and box sizes vary from company to company. The best boxes balance affordability with value for money while, at the same time, keeping slender to fit through most letterboxes. After all, nobody dreams of spending their Saturday morning with that dreaded 'while you were out' red card in hand at the delivery office.
There's a world of choice when it comes to subscription boxes in the UK - chocolate; beauty; cookery; clothes; jewellery; gaming; books; charity; and the list goes on.
The market has exploded in popularity recently, with the Royal Mail predicting a £1 billion value by 2022. Mckinsey reckons 15% of online shoppers have tried a subscription box service, so there are plenty of people out there who have yet to experience the sheer pleasure of receiving a mystery parcel each month.
Who are subscription boxes for?
"I hate opening presents", said nobody. Who doesn't get excited when a mystery package from your favourite company lands on your doormat.
Subscription boxes are...
- ... exciting. Subscribe to a box service to receive a delivery of mystery and joy each and every month.
- ... convenient. Boxes are shipped like clockwork every month without you lifting a finger.
- ... surprising. The chances are you'll find items in your box you would not ordinarily have chosen when ordering online. Who knows - you might discover new favourites?
- ... good value. The value of the contents in good subscription boxes normally exceeds the monthly price.
- ... great gifts. Treat yourself once a month or gift a friend the joy of receiving a gift that keeps on giving - literally.
How much do subscription boxes cost?
Subscription boxes vary massively in price, from £3.25 for a set of golf balls each month right up to £349 for a new dapper Berg outfit each month.
Consumers will ultimately dictate what is a reasonable price, and for chocolate subscription boxes, that ranges from around £3.75 to £45 per month.
Before you race to snap up the cheapest chocolate subscription box, be aware that boxes are not created equal. £3.75 will get you a bar of chocolate each month, while £45 will get you a box load of chocolate. Even boxes that are the same price can be vastly different, so it pays to dig a little deeper into what you can typically expect to receive in each box.
Also note that some companies offer both 'pay as you go' and 'prepay' options. Sometimes, prepaying for a year upfront can secure you a healthy discount, but you do have to part with up to hundreds of pounds in one go. Paying as you go allows you the freedom and flexibility to change your mind, swap to a different service, or cancel your commitment altogether, albeit normally at a slightly higher price.
How do I manage a subscription?
Some monthly clubs can trace their roots back to the good 'ol days of snail mail ordering. These clubs often require management of your subscription over the phone, which means speaking to someone, which chomps up both time and money. You'll not find any of these such clubs on my list.
Instead, I'm a fan of online subscriptions that take full advantage of the Internet to allow you to manage all aspects of your membership yourself online, from expressing interests and preferences through to amending your delivery scheduling or cancelling altogether.
You could go one step further and use a subscription management service like Cratejoy or uOpen. Such websites let you manage multiple subscriptions from the convenience of one website - perfect if you want to juggle several subscriptions at once. uOpen°, for instance, boasts thousands of customers that use its platform to manage their memberships to over 200 subscription box services in the UK.
Top Monthly Chocolate Subscription Boxes
So you know: I've only included UK chocolate subscription services that can be purchased and managed online. I've excluded mixed assortment boxes (like Japanese or American snack boxes, etc).
Services are listed below by the cheapest equivalent monthly costs in ascending order.
1 Dormouse Chocolates Bean to Door Club
Each month will be a surprise, with a new origin or new flavour combination landing on your doorstep. Not only will you receive delicious chocolate, you'll also receive information about the origin of the cocoa beans used in your bar and information on the inspiration for the recipe.
- Variety: Bars will vary each month.
- Quantity: You'll receive one bar each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocolate purists.
- Subscription: Prepay £20 for 3 months; £38 for 6 months; or £50 for 9 months; or £70 for a year's supply.
- Price per box: £5.56 to £6.67 per box.
Dormouse Chocolates Bean to Door Club
2 Cocoba Chocolate Collection Box
If you like variety then you'll love this letterbox-sized monthly package from Cocoba. Each box is filled with a variety of items, often including truffles and pralines, chocolate bars, treats, and even drinking chocolate.
- Variety: Opt for the Chocolate Collection for a bit of anything. Hot Chocolate lovers may want to take out the Hot Chocolate box, and there's even a monthly chocolate bar subscription option.
- Quantity: Expect around six items per box in the Chocolate Collection or the Hot Chocolate Collection, or two bars per box in the Chocolate Bar Subscription.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who'd appreciate a generous helping of assorted chocolates each month.
- Subscription: £19.95 per box on pay as you go, or prepay £65 for 3 months; £120 for 6 months; or £230 for 12 months for the Chocolate Collection. The Hot Chocolate Box is £12.95 per month on pay as you go, or prepay £45 for 3 months; £85 for 6 months; or £165 for 12 months. The Chocolate Bar subscription is £5.95 every four weeks.
- Price per box: Between £5.95 and £21.67 per box.
Cocoba Chocolate Collection Box
3 Eighteen Rabbit Fair Trade Chocolate Club
The founders of Eighteen Rabbit want to make the world a better place, so built a brand that markets fair trade products. As part of that, they run The Chocolate Club, which features Austrian chocolate brand Zotter at its core. Zotter is a Fair Trade verified business and is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization. It uses organic ingredients in its recipes and the company has a keen emphasis on environmental protection.
- Variety: You'll receive a different bar from the Zotter range each month. You can also specify to be sent only vegan products.
- Quantity: One bar of Zotter chocolate each month (around 70g).
- Subscription: Prepay £20 for 3 months or £40 for 6 months.
- Price per box: £6.67 per delivery.
Eighteen Rabbit Fair Trade Chocolate Club
4 Green & Black's The Chocolate Club
Can't get enough of Green & Black's chocolate? If you're a G&B addict, or know someone who is, this is the club to join. There are five different clubs to choose between, so if you're a fan of the organic range or the Velvet Editions, you'll find something to suit you here.
TRIED AND TESTED
Want to know what to expect in terms of flavours? Check out my Green & Black’s Organic Milk Miniature Bar Collection review.
- Variety: Choose from Organic mixed, Organic Dark, Organic Milk, Velvet Edition, or the Classic Chocolate Club subscription for a bit of everything.
- Quantity: Two bars (of around 90g to 100g each) per box.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a Green & Black's addict.
- Subscription: Prepay £36 for 6 months + £5.50 delivery.
- Price per box: £6.92 per box.
Green & Black's The Chocolate Club
5 Ooh! Chocolata Subscription
Vegan subscription available
Presumably named after the noise you'll squeal when you receive your box each month, the Ooh! Club delivers four bars of chocolate each month. You'll get a selection of three regular bars plus a fourth mystery bar. Chocolates are handmade by independent chocolate business Ooh! Chocolata to vegetarian recipes.
- Variety: You'll get a random assortment each month.
- Quantity: Four 50g bars of chocolate each month.
- Subscription: Prepay £22 for 3 months; £44 for 6 months; or £85 for 12 months. For vegan boxes (see here), prepay £23 for 3 months; £46 for 6 months; or £88 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £7.08 and £7.33 per box (regular); Between £7.33 and £7.67 per box (vegan).
Ooh! Chocolata Ooh! Club
6 Aurosó Chocolate Club Subscriptions
Vegan subscription available
Aurosó Chocolate specialises in luxury dark chocolate bars that are surprisingly low in sugar yet full-on in flavour. These are definitely grown-up chocolate bars that you'll want to keep away from the kids. They also produce honey ganache bonbons with the same ethos.
Each month you'll receive an assortment of flavours from the current range of bars or bonbons, depending on which you select.
[GIFTED] TRIED AND TESTED
I was kindly sent the launch collection of grown-up chocolate bars by Aurosó Chocolate. These 45g dark chocolate bars are beautifully packaged and the flavours are varied and often edgy, such as the Hazelnut Truffle one. Aurosó Chocolate also produce honey ganache bonbons too.
- Variety: Choose to receive a random selection of either chocolate bars or honey ganache chocolates each month.
- Quantity: Each delivery contains either two 45g bars, or either six or twelve bonbons, depending on the subscription you choose.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or those looking for luxurious low sugar chocolate.
- Subscription: £12.50 per month or prepay £75 for six months (bars); £8.50 per month or prepay £50 for six months (6 bonbons); or £16.25 per month or prepay £97.50 for six months.
- Price per box: Between £8.33 and £16.25 per box.
Aurosó Chocolate Club Subscriptions
7 Love Cocoa Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
When you hear that Love Cocoa's founder James Cadbury's great-great-great grandfather John Cadbury setup a little chocolate company 200 years ago called Cadbury, you know there's pedigree here.
[GIFTED] TRIED AND TESTED
Subscription box service uOpen arranged for me to receive a box of Love Cocoa chocolates to test their subscription service. Read more of my Love Cocoa subscription box review here.
Since my review, the service has changed. you can now either pick your own bars or opt for a random selection (hurrah!). The options have changed too, so you can now either get two bars delivered monthly or receive a truffle tube and two bars.
- Variety: Pick your choice of chocolate bar flavours or opt for a lucky dip.
- Quantity: Get two bars per box, with or without a box of truffles depending on your membership.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a lover of quality chocolate.
- Subscription: £8 + £0.99 P&P per month for 2 bars; or £17.99 per box for 2 bars and a box of truffles with free delivery. Love Cocoa is also available on uOpen° at £22.99 per month for 6 bars.
- Price per box: Between £8.99 and £22.99 per box.
Love Cocoa Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
8 Benjamin Chocolatier Truffle Club
Benjamin Chocolatier (Wicked & Wonderful) describes its Truffle Club as "like having your very own chocolatier." That sounds good to me! Each month you'll be sent a different flavour of chocolate. Members of the Truffle Club are encouraged to suggest ideas that may well be turned into selections in future boxes. Be aware that this club suspends deliveries in July and August, but you'll receive deliveries as normal before and after these months.
- Variety: Get a different flavour of chocolates each month.
- Quantity: Each box contains nine truffles.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or creative chocoholics.
- Subscription: Prepay £32.95 for 3 months; £62 for 6 months; £90 for 9 months; or £115 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £9.59 and £10.99 per box.
Benjamin Chocolatier (Wicked & Wonderful) Truffle Club
9 Melt Chocolate Subscription
Vegan subscription available
Dubbed "London's most luxurious chocolate club," Melt Chocolates bundles in more than just a monthly subscription box. You'll receive invites to join live events, chocolate tasting sessions, to meet bean-to-bar artisans, and to meet the chocolatiers too.
There's several subscriptions to choose from. Club Melt Bars Trio Monthly Subscription sees three bars delivered to your door each month. Club Melt Fresh Subscription nets you a box of freshly made filled chocolates each month. Club Melt Fresh & Bars Subscription is the best of both worlds, with fresh chocolates one month and bars the next. Club Melt Vegan Monthly Subscription is a monthly subscription alternating between vegan bars and vegan fresh chocolates each month. Club Melt Mini Bars Monthly Subscription is ideal if you prefer smaller nibbles, while the Weekly Subscription keeps you topped up with weekly deliveries with items from across the range.
- Variety: Choose from a subscription of chocolate bars, chocolate bonbons, or a bit of both.
- Quantity: Ten freshly handmade chocolate bonbons, three 90g bars, or three 45g mini bars each month, depending on your package.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a chocolate lover who'd like to receive a variety of treats each month.
- Subscription: £9.99 per month for the mini bar subscription, or £19.99 per month for all other monthly subscriptions. Weekly subscriptions are £9.99 per week. Prepay as a gift here at the rate of £60 for 3 months; £115 for 6 months; or £230 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £9.99 and £20 per box.
Melt Chocolate Subscription
10 The Chocolate Library Feel Good Chocolate Monthly Gift Subscription
The Chocolate Library (part of The Quirky Gift Library) packages up a variety of milk, dark, or white chocolate bars inside packaging brandished with quirky inspiring or funny messages. If you're looking for a gift that says "thank you for being you" or "who needs therapy when there's chocolate," look no further.
- Variety: Choose from a range of nine flavours and 12 wrappers each month.
- Quantity: The first box contains two bars, with subsequent deliveries containing a single bar.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who'd appreciate good chocolate packaged inside a quirky wrapper.
- Subscription: £36 for 3 months; £60 for 6 months; or £120 for 12 months
- Price per box: Between £10 and £12 per box.
- Join: Curiously, I can't find a way to set up a subscription directly via their website. Instead, head to Not on the High Street to set it up. You'll need some time to do this as you have to select the packaging and flavour for up to 14 bars before you place your order.
The Chocolate Library Feel Good Chocolate Monthly Gift Subscription
11 Pure Heavenly VIP Club
Vegan subscription available
Become a VIP at Pure Heavenly by setting up a recurring order. Their 'Subscribe and Save' option enables you to receive regular weekly or monthly deliveries of your favourite chocolate bars from their range. Pure Heavenly creates vegan chocolate that is low sugar (under 4%), dairy-free, free from soy, gluten-free, and made without using Palm Oil. Members also receive occasional free samples and are also entered into a quarterly prize draw.
- Variety: You pick the quantities and flavours. You can change your flavour preferences regularly too.
- Quantity: Either four, eight, 12, 16, or 20 80g bars per box, which is delivered every one to eight weeks, depending on what you choose.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who'd appreciate a weekly or month supply of between four and 20 bars.
- Subscription: £10.35 per month (4 bars); £20.70 per month (8 bars); £29.90 per month (12 bars); £39.95 per month (16 bars); or £49.95 per month (20 bars). Deliveries every one to eight weeks are also available.
- Price per box: Between £10.35 and £49.95 per box.
Pure Heavenly VIP Club
12 Duffy's Single Origin Chocolate Subscription
This three-month subscription sees you receive three deliveries of two bears each. At the time of writing, you'd get Duffy's Venezuela Ocumare 55% milk and Dominican Republic 65% dark bars in the first month. Then it's Duffy's Honduras Indio Rojo 72% dark and Ecuador Camino Verde 72% dark bars in month two, with a Venezuela Ocumare 72% dark and Panama Tierra Oscura 72% dark chocolate bar in the third and final month.
This good-value time-limited subscription is ideal if you want to give the gift of top-notch chocolate that keeps on giving, without costing the earth. It's also great for those seeking tasty chocolate on a budget and for us forgetful folk who often can't remember to cancel their subscriptions.
- Variety: Get two different bars each month.
- Quantity: You'll receive two bars each month for three months.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or single-origin chocolate lovers.
- Subscription: Prepay £34 for 3 months.
- Price per box: £11.33 per box.
Duffy's Single Origin Chocolate Subscription
13 Explore Chocolate Explore Monthly
Northamptonshire artisan chocolatier Matt Green creates small-batch delicacies blending single origin and single region cacao with a variety of textures and flavours. Explore Chocolate promises delivery of a 'chocolate care package' each month full of their latest creations. Members also receive recipes and occasionally DIY chocolate kits.
- Variety: Expect a selection of fresh new chocolates in each delivery.
- Quantity: Boxes typically include a pack of six chocolates plus either a pack of hot chocolate flakes, a chocolate bar, or seasonal creations. While monthly contents vary, you'll typically receive up to £15 of contents each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocolate lovers with a passion for single source cacao.
- Subscription: £40 for 3 months; £75 for 6 months; or £140 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £11.67 and £13.34 per box.
Explore Chocolate Explore Monthly
14 Cadbury Bar Post Box Subscription
In my research, one of the most commonly searched-for subscription package called for an endless supply of a glass and a half full of Cadbury Dairy Milk. Thanks to Cadbury Gifts Direct, this is now a possibility. Available to prepay for a six month supply, you'll receive an assortment of legendary Cadbury chocolate bars, including universal favourites Flake, Wispa, Double Decker, Crunchie, and Dairy Milk.
TRIED AND TESTED
I'm pretty sure everyone has tasted Cadbury chocolate at some point in their life. In case note, here's my Cadbury Dairy Milk Premier League Football Pitch Bar review to give you an idea on what to expect in terms of taste.
- Variety: Receive the same box of chocolates every month for half a year.
- Quantity: Boxes contain 10 Cadbury chocolate bars.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a Cadbury mega fan.
- Subscription: £66 for 6 months + £5.50 delivery.
- Price per box: £11.92 per box.
Cadbury Bar Post Box Subscription
15 Harry Specters Chocolate Club
Harry Specters seeks to grow the confidence and skills of young people with autism by providing employment and training opportunities. This feel good social cause is at the heart of everything they do, and the monthly chocolate club is a way for you to contribute and benefit at the same time.
- Variety: Receive a random assortment or let them know your favourite flavours at least ten days before despatch.
- Quantity: Each box is filled with either nine, 12, or 16 pieces, depending on the subscription you take out.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a chocolate lover who'd appreciate the positive social message behind the company.
- Subscription: £14 to £21 per month (3 months); £13 to £20 per month (6 months); or £12 to £19 per month (12 months).
- Price per box: Between £12 and £21 per box, depending on size and commitment.
Harry Specters Chocolate Club
16 Slabb Couples Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
If you think pairing the finest chocolate with boozy tipples is a marriage made in heaven, you'll love Slabb. Chocolate in each slab is paired with booze and generously topped with complimentary flavours and textures. It's not all about the booze though, as they also make a range of non-alcoholic chocolate bars as well as vegan bars.
- Variety: You'll get a random selection each month but are guaranteed never to have a repeat bar. You can express preferences and Slabb will try to accommodate your tastes. A vegan range is also available.
- Quantity: Receive two bars in every box.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone with a sweet tooth and a love of boozy chocs.
- Subscription: £12 per month.
- Price per box: £12 per box.
Slabb Couples Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
17 BoroughBox Letterbox Chocolate Gift Subscription
BoroughBox curates a selection of artisan foodie products on its website, and in its Letterbox Chocolate Gift Subscription, you'll get a trio of chocolate bars each month to taste.
You'll receive a surprise selection of dark, milk and white chocolate bars, including simple yet flavourful bars as well as modern twists to timeless classics.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with three random chocolate bars.
- Quantity: Receive a box of three bars every month, for one, three, six or 12 months.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who loves receiving surprise boxes of chocolate.
- Subscription: Prepay £14.99 for one month; £38.99 for three months; £74.99 for six months; or £149.99 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £12.50 and £14.99 per box.
BoroughBox Letterbox Chocolate Gift Subscription
18 Chococo Subscription Chocolate Club
Named one of "The Best Subscription Gifts" by The Guardian, the Subscription Chocolate Club by Chococo guarantees a four-weekly supply of fresh chocolates made in Dorset. Not only that, club members get access to exclusive club offers. Unlike most other clubs on this list, Chococo lets you subscribe to receive nine, 16, or 25 chocolates each month, depending on how much you want to spend.
- Variety: An assortment of chocolate flavours are included each month, from award winners through to seasonal flavours.
- Quantity: Choose from Small (nine chocs), Medium (16 chocs), or Large (25 chocs).
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a fan of delicious fresh chocolates.
- Subscription: Prepay £46.25 to £80.75 for 3 months; £77.25 to £134.75 for 6 months; £154.50 to £269.50 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £12.88 and £26.92 per box.
Chococo Subscription Chocolate Club
19 Chocolate Fayre Tasters Club
Teesdale's Chocolate Fayre runs a monthly club where tasters can sample two dozen of their chocolates, from classic favourites through to exciting new flavours. Each box contains either one or two sets of 12 chocolates making it ideal for sharing with a partner or friend.
- Variety: You'll get a random selection each month, made up of time-tested favourites and future classics.
- Quantity: Either 12 or 24 chocolates (two lots of 12 flavours) per box.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocolate fans that like to receive a variety of flavours every month.
- Subscription: Prepay £13.50 for 1 month; £40 for 3 months; £79 for 6 months; or £155 for 12 months (for 12 chocolates per box); Prepay £24 for 1 month; £70 for 3 months; £136 for 6 months; or £260 for 12 months (for 24 chocolates per delivery).
- Price per box: Between £12.92 and £24 per box.
Chocolate Fayre Tasters Club
20 Langleys Rocky Road Scrumptious Selection Box Subscription
[Gifted] TRIED & TESTED
Langleys Rocky Road kindly sent me a box of chocolate Christmas crackers, filled with a variety of rocky road chocolates, some of which appear in these subscription boxes.
Each month you'll receive a box of their latest flavours. Favourites include Cherry Bakewell, Eton Mess, Cornish Fudge, Cornish Gin, Lemon Meringue, Lime & Sea Salt, and Chilli.
- Variety: Receive the latest selection each month.
- Quantity: Each box contains 24 chocolates and weighs around 220g.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or those with a sweet tooth.
- Subscription: £60 for 3 months; £100 for 6 months; or £180 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £15 and £20 per box.
Langleys Rocky Road Scrumptious Selection Box Subscription
21 Ohso Probiotic Chocolate Subscription
Chocolate often gets a bad rap, but Ohso's 'good chocolate' bars contain over a billion Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium live cultures (also known as probiotics). Recipes are also gluten-free, nut-free, non-GMO, and contain no added dairy. Bars are free from artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives, and are suitable for vegetarians.
- Variety: You pick the flavours you'd like to receive from a range of four varieties. You can change flavours right up to a couple of days before the box is despatched each month.
- Quantity: Choose either a box of four or eight bars each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or health fanatics with a sweet tooth.
- Subscription: £15.90 per month (4 bars); or £29.50 per month (8 bars).
- Price per box: Between £15.90 and £29.50 per box.
Ohso Probiotic Chocolate Subscription
22 PLAYin Choc ToyChoc Box Monthly Subscription Package
Designed to fuel child creativity while satisfying cravings, the monthly ToyChoc Box Monthly Subscription Package by PLAYin Choc sees half a dozen ToyChoc boxes land on your doorstep each month.
Each ToyChoc box contains two individually wrapped 10g organic, vegan, dairy-free chocolate sticks. There's also a plastic-free toy to assemble and a fun fact card. Over the course of a year, the themes of the boxes change. In 12 months, six of them will be JustChoc boxes, which, as the name suggests, contains just chocolate. Here your kids will find five individually-wrapped portions of chocolate.
- Variety: Over the course of a year you'll receive boxes from across the Endangered animals, Woodland animals, and dinosaurs ranges, plus seasonal Easter and Christmas boxes.
- Quantity: You'll receive six assorted ToyChoc boxes each month.
- Buy it for: Your children, your neighbour's kids, or your grandchildren.
- Subscription: £15.95 every month.
- Price per box: £15.95 per box.
PLAYin Choc ToyChoc Box Monthly Subscription Package
23 Montezuma's Chocolate Club
Montezuma's Real Chocolate Club keeps you topped up with award-winning British chocolate each month. Each box contains a generous helping of milk, dark and white chocolate in slab, cube, or shape-form.
- Variety: Each box contains an assortment of chocolates. There's no way to express a preference at the moment.
- Quantity: 600g of assorted milk, dark and white chocolate on average.
- Buy it for: Yourself, a Montezuma's fan, or someone who'd like a generous helping of chocolate each month.
- Subscription: Prepay £59.97 for 3 months; £99.95 for 6 months; or £199.90 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £16.66 and £19.99 per box.
Montezuma's Chocolate Club
24 The Bombillow Box
Vegan friendly box available
The creators of this family venture wanted the world to fall in love with chocolate again and to truly understand and appreciate cacao. Bombillow offers a monthly subscription box crammed full of artisan creations from various chocolatiers.
Alongside the original Bombillow box, there's a Vegan Box and a larger Gourmet Box available. What makes the Bombillow Box different is that you can choose one of two bars that appear in the box each month, allowing a more personal exploration of chocolate.
- Variety: Have your say for one bar, but the rest is a mystery assortment designed to explore all areas of chocolate.
- Quantity: Get an assortment of chocolate products each month, with the quantity and types dependant on the box your choose
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who is interested in trying a wide selection of fantastic chocolates.
- Subscription: Prepay £18.95 (1 month), £53.85 (3 months) or £107.70 (6 months) for the Bombillow Box or the Vegan Box; or prepay £34.95 (1 month), £99.60 (3 months) or £199.20 (6 months) for the Gourmet Box.
- Price per box: Between £17.95 and £34.95 per box.
The Bombillow Box
25 Willie's Cacao Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
You may remember Willie Harcourt-Cooze from his Willie's Wonky Chocolate Factory and The Chocolate Revolution programmes on Channel 4 in 2008 and 2009. Now, his Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box delivers an assortment of ten 50g bars to your door each month, including two of his "Magnificent Creations".
Alongside the bean-to-bar chocolates, you'll get a flavour map along with a guide to tasting chocolate. You'll also get tasting notes from Willie, explaining the origins of the beans used in your bars. Furthermore, as a club member, you get a 10% discount on Willie's Cacao orders, which is great if you fancy trying his chocolate truffles or you want to buy a chocolate hamper as a gift.
- Variety: Expect an assortment of chocolate bars each month, either in dark chocolate or a mix of dark, milk and white chocolate depending on the subscription package you choose.
- Quantity: Get ten 50g bars each month, along with a flavour map and tasting notes.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who is interested in the diverse flavours of cacao.
- Subscription: £19.25 per month for 3 months; £18.75 per month for 6 months; or £18 per month for a year.
- Price per box: Between £18 and £19.25 per box.
Willie's Cacao Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
26 Artisan Du Chocolat Rehab Club
Rehab for chocoholics comes courtesy of Artisan du Chocolat. They package up a range of items each month to include couture chocolates, truffles, bars, nuts and fruits, beans, and seasonal favourites. What makes this club stand out from the rest is that it is not all bar or truffle based, so you may receive sauces, drinking chocolate, or even an invitation to a chocolate tasting at their Notting Hill shop.
- Variety: Expect a wide variety of chocolatey items each month.
- Quantity: Each month looks to average around 200g of products.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who'd appreciate a selection from a wide range of chocolate products each month.
- Subscription: £60 for 3 months; £120 for 6 months; or £220 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £18.34 and £20 per box.
Artisan Du Chocolat Rehab Club
27 La Chocolatrice Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
Join The Chocolate Club to receive a monthly mystery box of handmade treats by La Chocolatrice. The selection varies from month to month, with each month following a unique theme.
Expect to find an assortment of milk, white and dark chocolate treats, from chocolate bars to chocolate buttons, and plenty in-between.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with a selection of handmade products.
- Quantity: Receive a box of varying chocolate treats each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who loves receiving a surprise box of chocolates.
- Subscription: £18.50 per month.
- Price per box: £18.50 per box.
La Chocolatrice Monthly Chocolate Subscription Box
28 Firetree Bars Subscription
Have you tasted volcanic chocolate? Firetree specialises in single-origin chocolate from volcanic islands, known for adding extra characteristics from the terroir into the flavour profile of the bars.
Vegan-friendly, dairy-free, and suitable for Halal and Kosher diets, these bars are completely different to anything you've tried before.
TRIED AND TESTED
Want to know what to expect from volcanic chocolate? Read my Firetree 72% Vanuatu Rich Volcanic Chocolate review to see what it's like.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with three bars from different origins.
- Quantity: Receive a box of three bars each month for three months. Fancy five bars a month? Opt for the Firetree Gift Box Subscription here instead.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who can appreciate finer tasting notes in chocolate.
- Subscription: Prepay £60 for three months (three bars) or £95 for three months (five bars).
- Price per box: Between £20 and £31.67 per box.
Firetree Bars Subscription
29 The Chocolate Society Box Of The Month
Every month the team at The Chocolate Society craft 250 boxes of chocolate using fresh cream, butter, with real herbs and spices. Each box has a six week shelf life from production, but you'll want to enjoy these treats soon after they arrive for the best flavour. Each month contains a different collection.
[GIFTED] TRIED AND TESTED
While the monthly boxes contain filled chocolates, I've had a nibble at The Chocolate Society's chocolate bars. I also bought their Christmas bars to review and am the proud owner of a Hot Chocolate Shaker that I purchased too. If you've not got one yet, you're really missing out on creamy café-style hot chocolates made in a flash at home!
- Variety: Each month varies based on a theme.
- Quantity: Expect around 18 chocolates per box on average in six flavours.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or fresh chocolate fans that like to taste a variety of interesting flavours.
- Subscription: Prepay £22.50 for 1 month; £65 for 3 months; £120 for 6 months; or £240 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £20 and £22.50 per box.
The Chocolate Society Box Of The Month
30 Cocoa Runners Monthly Subscription
This service delivers four chocolate bars each month from a variety of premium labels, such as Menakao, Original Beans, Pump Street, Blanxart, and Pacari. Bars work out better value than buying them individually, and you'll always have a different selection of bars (to avoid repetition).
- Variety: Receive an assortment of chocolate bars monthly, opting for either the 'dark chocolate', 'milk chocolate', 'dark and milk chocolate' or '100% cocoa chocolate only' boxes.
- Quantity: Each box contains four bars.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or fine chocolate fans that appreciate quality.
- Subscription: £19.95 per month plus £1.95 P&P.
- Price per box: £21.90 per box.
Cocoa Runners Monthly Subscription
31 Coco Chemistry Monthly Fresh Flavour Box
Enjoy a monthly selection of fresh chocolates delivered to your door. Each box features five different flavours and you get 15 chocolates in total to try in each box. Not only that, each box is fully recyclable and is made using card and paper.
As Coco Chemistry makes fresh chocolates, they incorporate real fruit purees and fresh cream inside, so can only be stored for a short period of time. Eat them sooner rather than later for a fresher taste.
- Variety: Enjoy a random assortment of five new flavours of filled chocolates each month.
- Quantity: You'll get 15 chocolates in each box made up of five different flavours.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or any chocolate lover who enjoys tasting flavour-filled chocolates.
- Subscription: Prepay £25 for one month; £70 for 3 months; £140 for 6 months; or £265 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £22.08 and £25 per box.
Coco Chemistry Monthly Fresh Flavour Box
32 Beech's Fine Chocolates Chocolate Club
Enjoy a monthly delivery of a selection of items drawing from the entire Beech's Fine Chocolates range. You can manage your subscription online to effortlessly skip a delivery (perhaps you're going on holiday), change the frequency of deliveries, or cancel your membership altogether. Members also receive an extra 5% discount on online special offers.
- Variety: Each box is filled with classics, seasonal favourites, and new products.
- Quantity: Expect around six to eight different products per box, from truffles to bars.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a chocolate addict that enjoys receiving a surprise selection each month.
- Subscription: £22.50 per month.
- Price per box: £22.50 per box.
Beech's Fine Chocolates Chocolate Club
33 The Chocolate Hub Monthly Subscription Package
Does low calorie chocolate on tap sound like a dream? The Chocolate Hub specialises in making chocolate slabs that weigh in at under 160 calories each, and their Monthly Subscription Package sees a recurring delivery of at least ten treats each and every month. The Chocolate Hub reckons it's suitable for those on Weight Watchers or Slimming World programmes, with the count of 160 calories broadly equivalent to around eight 'Syns' (Slimming World's trademark count).
- Variety: You'll get a mix of classic and new flavours in each delivery. You can express a preference of what goes into your box or you can enjoy a mix.
- Quantity: Each box contains at least ten chocolate bars.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or a diet fanatic who likes to enjoy the occasional sweet treat.
- Subscription: Prepay £75 for 3 months; £145 for 6 months; or £275 for 12 months.
- Price per box: Between £22.92 and £25 per box.
The Chocolate Hub Monthly Subscription Package
34 The Chocolatier Aneesh Popat Monthly Chocolate Box
Award-winning chocolatier Aneesh Popat lists royalty and Michelin starred restaurants amongst his clients, so you know you're in for a real treat when you register to receive his Monthly Chocolate Box. Each month is inspired by a theme, with anything ranging from breakfast right through to the entire country of Brazil in Aneesh's sights. His recipes are free from artificial preservatives, artificial flavourings, cream, butter, gelatine, gluten, and oil too.
- Variety: Expect a box of surprises each month based around a theme.
- Quantity: Each box consists of three lots of six individual flavours, so 18 chocolates in total (at around 180g).
- Buy it for: Yourself, or those that enjoy going on a chocolate journey with a carefully picked selection of flavours each month.
- Subscription: £24.95 per month.
- Price per box: £24.95 per box.
The Chocolatier Aneesh Popat Monthly Chocolate Box
35 NearyNógs Stoneground Chocolate Subscription
Affectionately dubbed a "Chocolate Box Care Package" by NearyNógs Stoneground Chocolate, this monthly box keeps you topped up with a regular selection of chocolate products made in Northern Ireland.
Each box contains cacao nibs, drinking Chocolate, a bar of the month, a slate of the month, a box of sea-salted caramel cups, and a mystery item.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with a variety of products, including mystery items.
- Quantity: Receive a one-off box or a box each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who can appreciate a the fine taste of stoneground chocolate.
- Subscription: £24.99 per month.
- Price per box: £24.99 per box.
NearyNógs Stoneground Chocolate Subscription
36 Chocolarder Monthly Seasonal Box
You'll be eager to tear into this monthly seasonal chocolate box by small-batch bean-to-bar specialists Chocolarder. Each box consists of two bean-to-bar chocolate bars as well as a box of seasonal chocolate truffles.
The chocolate truffle recipes draw inspiration from the seasons, while the bars come from either the regular range or from the limited-edition range whenever these are available. Expect experimental flavours and something very different from the rest.
- Variety: Flavours vary from month to month, based on seasonal ingredients and flavours.
- Quantity: Each month you'll receive a box of seasonal chocolate truffles with two bars from either the main or limited-edition ranges.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocolate purists that enjoy trying new flavours and experimental flavour combinations.
- Subscription: £25 per month.
- Price per box: £25 per box.
Chocolarder Monthly Seasonal Box
37 Hotel Chocolat Monthly Chocolate Subscription
Probably one of the longest running chocolate clubs and one of the most popular based on the limited stats I could get my mitts on, the Tasting Club by Hotel Chocolat sees members taste test a range of flavours every month. A massive 55,000 members score chocolates online to help influence what makes it to the shelves in Hotel Chocolat stores nationwide.
The Tasting Club used to receive selection boxes of chocolates but looks to have moved to include a wider selection of products to taste. Choose from a bit of 'Everything', just the 'Mellow' ones, the 'Tipsy' ones, or just the 'High Cocoa' chocolates.
Hotel Chocolat has launched an Inventing Room Subscription Box service.
TRIED AND TESTED
This was my first introduction to the world of chocolate subscriptions, and I have tried a variety of boxes for a range of time spans. Hotel Chocolat really understands what makes a chocolate club great, from the effortless account management to the exciting range of chocolate in each of the letterbox-sized parcels. It's hard not to race to the door and rip the box open to find out what interesting flavours lie beneath. I won't lie - not every chocolate is a winner, but now and again you discover something unexpectedly delicious. And that's the beauty of The Tasting Club - variety. You get to try things that you might not otherwise buy from a Hotel Chocolat store, and you get to sample flavours before they hit the shops. Scoring the chocolates is oddly addictive and I love comparing my ratings to the community overall. The member perks are great too - I have been known to purchase a few member-only boxes! My only criticism is that some duplicate (or very similar) flavours occasionally appear in consecutive boxes. Read my Hotel Chocolat Mellow Tasting Box review.
- Variety: Receive a selection of products based on your chosen membership (Everything, Mellow, Tipsy or High Cocoa)
- Quantity: Receive a box of products each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or someone who likes the idea of more cocoa and less sugar in their chocolates.
- Subscription: £25 per month.
- Price per box: £25 per box.
Hotel Chocolat Monthly Chocolate Subscription
38 William Curley Club
If you know and love the finer side of chocolate and patisserie, you'll be very familiar with William Curley's work. Club Curley is a subscription box service which ships a monthly parcel to you full of new products to try out, seasonal favourites, and bestselling items.
Choose from the Original membership or the Deluxe membership for a bumper selection of goodies. The Deluxe package typically sees larger pack sizes as well as few extra goodies compared to the Original tier.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with new products to try, seasonal chocolates, and plenty of Curley's bestselling treats.
- Quantity: A selection of products each month.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who appreciates the luxury chocolate experience.
- Subscription: Prepay £300 (Original) or £500 (Deluxe) for 12 monthly deliveries.
- Price per box: Between £25 and £41.67 per box.
William Curley Club
39 Harry's Emporium Chocolate Club
Harry's Emporium searches for the best products from small batch bean-to-bar makers to stock in its café and shop in Tooting, London. For those of us geographically unable to get our premium chocolate fix in London, they run a 'For The love of Chocolate' subscription box service. Each month you'll receive a mystery box of new inclusion, slab, single origin, or stone-ground chocolate bars.
- Variety: Choose whether your box contains just milk, dark, or both milk and dark chocolate.
- Quantity: Boxes contain a selection of chocolate bars.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocolate enthusiasts who love to receive a varied assortment of chocolate each month.
- Subscription: £26 per month; or prepay £85 for 3 months; or £160 for 6 months.
- Price per box: Between £26 and £28.33 per box.
Harry's Emporium Chocolate Club
40 Letterbox Gifts Birthday Subscription Set
This is a three-month birthday subscription service which incorporates three of Letterbox Gifts' most popular boxes - the Birthday Gift Set, the Spa Night In Gift Set, and most importantly, the Chocolate Gift Set.
The first two boxes include pampering treats (such as balms, candles, oils, and bath salts) along with a luxury bar of chocolate. The third box is all about the chocolate, with bars and hot chocolate flakes.
- Variety: You'll receive a curated bundle of assorted goodies (including chocolate) each month for three months.
- Quantity: The subscription lasts for three boxes.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocoholics that enjoy a little pampering or 'me time'.
- Subscription: £30 per month for three months.
- Price per box: £30 per box.
Letterbox Gifts offer:
Save 10% on your order at Letterbox Gifts. Use code 10OFFLETTERBOX at the checkout. Shop now°
Ends on Friday 31st December 2021. Terms and exclusions may apply. See website for details.
Letterbox Gifts Birthday Subscription Set
41 The New Chocolate Company Chocology Club
Join the Chocology Club to become a Chocologist! Receive a selection of exciting new chocolates heralding from Scotland. Each month, The New Chocolate Company puts together a bundle of treats including luxury handmade filled chocolates, chocolate bars, and chocolate discs. Membership also bags you at least 10% discount on online orders plus the chance to attend their annual Chocology Christmas Party.
- Variety: You'll receive a bundle of goodies each month from the current range.
- Quantity: Each month you'll receive a box of nine handmade chocolates, five assorted filled bars (40g), and four filled chocolate thistles discs.
- Buy it for: Yourself, or chocoholics that enjoy variety in their life.
- Subscription: Prepay £90 for 3 months; £180 for 6 months; or £360 for 12 months.
- Price per box: £30 per box.
The New Chocolate Company Chocology Club
42 Rococo Fresh Subscriptions
Choosing either a monthly supply or a box every two or three months, you can ensure you're stocked up with the latest fresh chocolates from this London chocolatier.
Rococo seeks to take your taste buds on a journey, with a mix of delicate chocolate flavours and more intense, robust, and occasionally spicy flavours.
- Variety: Each box will be filled with fresh chocolates from the evolving collection, including seasonal flavours.
- Quantity: Receive a selection box of fresh filled chocolates, truffles, and pralines every month, two months or three months for a year.
- Buy it for: Yourself or somebody who can appreciate a luxurious chocolate experience.
- Subscription: Prepay £139 for four quarterly boxes; £199 for six bi-monthly boxes; or £399 for 12 monthly boxes.
- Price per box: Between £33.17 and £34.75 per box.
Rococo Fresh Subscriptions
Other Notable Mentions
I wanted to highlight a selection of other chocolate clubs that cannot be managed online or that are bundles of products.
- Chocolate and Book is a lovely idea of combining delivery of a new book with some new chocolates. Choose your favourite genre of book, specify your chocolate preferences, and voila. The chocolate varies from month to month, and it could be anything. Subscriptions start from £14.99 per month.
- London chocolatier, Paul A Young, also runs a monthly chocolate club but your subscription cannot be managed online (yet) although you can start the sign-up process online. Each month you get a selection of 16 chocolates, many of which will be highly creative and inventive flavour combinations. It's priced at around £200 for a 6 month subscription.
- Coffee & Kin is known for its coffee, but it also offers a Coffee and Chocolate subscription service here. And we all known that coffee and chocolate are best of friends. Choose from whole bean, ground beans, or coffee pods, then choose either milk, dark, or milk and dark chocolate to set up your monthly fix of coffee and chocolate. In exchange for £20 a month (£15 in your first month), you'll get 250g of speciality coffee (or 30 Nespresso compatible coffee pods) and at least two bars of artisan chocolate each month.
- In a world where we are all becoming ever more self-critical, there's a subscription service that seeks to boost positivity. Known as the Chocolate Positivity subscription, this service is ideal for sending as a gift to someone who'd appreciate regular pick me ups. When you set up the subscription on Not on the High Street, choose from several phrases. Each month, chocolate letters will spell out your phrase. It's novel and a little bit different, although you'll need to put some effort in to write all the monthly gift cards when you set up the subscription. Prices start from £30 per month and you can choose between 3 or 6 month durations. The standard boxes are 22 letters but you can upgrade this to 33 chocolates for £3 per month.
Did I miss a chocolate club? Let me know in the comments below. Also let me know if you receive any of the chocolate monthly subscription boxes listed above.